Apartment Music 34 & 35
Apartment Music shows #34 and #35
will be held on Saturday, June 29th and Sunday June 30th.
Both shows will start at 1:00 PM and will last until about 5:00 PM.
We will have one hour of hanging out before the shows and one hour after the shows.
Leslie Singer of NYC will be at both shows.
I will need you to sign up to perform at one show or the other.
If you prefer to play on one day or the other let me know ASAP.
If it does not matter which day you will play, please tell me that too.
At these Apartment Music shows I want to try something a little different:
I would like to encourage all performers to use visuals in your performances. This is strictly voluntary. It is not a stipulation. But if you want to try it, let's start talking about it now.
I have re-arranged my front room: I have removed my home stereo gear and CD collection case from in front of the wall with the cassette racks.
At the June Apartment Music shows the audience will sit in front of the cassette wall and will face the wall where my TV is.
The black performance table can be set up to the left of the TV.
You can play videos you have prepared on a DVD or blu-ray disc on my blu-ray player and we can watch while you create your sound performance.
Also, I have successfully connected a VCR to my TV. You can put your visuals on a VHS tape!
Also, I have successfully plugged a USB Flash Drive (memory stick) containing photograph files into the USB port on the back of the TV and have played the photos on the TV in a slideshow format.
So that is another possibility! JPEGs work fine. PNGs don't.
I think that there might be other possibilities as well, but I have not yet educated myself fully about those other possibilities. I think that Lucy Bonk has a great deal of knowledge in this area, and she will probably be able to help us figure this stuff out.
If you want to try some audiovisual stuff for your June Apartment Music performance, let's talk about it now, and see what we need to do to make it happen.
This page is set up like a blog so you can make comments and reply to comments below.
Let's keep the comments on-topic, please.
To get started, click on the Comments links under or near the blog post title.
A couple more things:
The audio from your visual media will be played through the sound bar which you can see in front of the TV in the photos above.
For your music/noise audio performance please plan on plugging into the 5-watt stereo Roland Street Cube amp that we used at Racket Fest #2.
I would also like to say that if anyone wants to do a performance or presentation of some sort that is primarily visual, that will be fine too. In other words, you don't need to play music or noise if you don't want to but could could just perform or present a live video mash-up or mosh-up, a slideshow with narration, etc.
- Gear should be plug-n-play and should not require more than five minutes for set-up and breakdown. Please bring all of your own cables, connectors and batteries and make sure that they are in good operational condition before you leave home. I will not have any extras on hand.
- Apartment Music #34 and #35 will be a Straight Edge events. Drug and alcohol use, including marijuana, will not be allowed, and sobriety/"straightness" should be maintained throughout the events. Thanks!
- Please arrive by no later than 12:30 PM, if possible.
- Sound volume levels will be such that it will not disturb neighbors (most of whom will be far enough away that they won't hear us any way).
- Your conduct during the event should be non-harassing, courteous, compassionate, patient, friendly, and 100% drama-free. Think before you speak!
- Performances will be a maximum of ten minutes each and must not contain racist, ageist, homophobic, trans-phobic or overtly sexist or misogynistic/misandrist content or materials.
- Please note that my events are famous (infamous) for their stipulations, and while these might seem like a lot of RULES, all of them are based on practical considerations. Stipulations are what set my shows apart from every other noise show. Stipulations add an element of puckish fun and conceptual, minimalist playfulness. Like a children's game, the stips are like the rules by which the game is played. Without simple, rudimentary rules there is no game. The stipulations have also been designed to ensure that everyone feels safe and secure and happy. Restrictions on gear are based not only on practical considerations due to the event being outdoors, but also in an effort to "level the playing field" so that all performers are subject to the same conditions. This will not be a standard noise show event. Think minimalism!
Outside of these stipulations and boundaries how you express yourself in your performance will be totally up to you!
Before the event and during intermissions I will provide bottled water and coffee.
I will make audio recordings of all of the performances and will publish these recordings together as an album on Bandcamp. I will also probably make video recordings of all performances and will publish these on YouTube and/or Vimeo.
4/20/2019 04:03:58 pm
I can play either day. I will also, depending on interest/utility be able to provide another VHS player, a windows 10 laptop, a 22" computer monitor, and various adaptors for various compatibility situations.
4/20/2019 04:07:44 pm
4/20/2019 04:08:07 pm
Thank you, Lucy. That's very helpful! Would you be able to be on hand both days to help with visuals? If you can't commit to both days, no worries: it might not be necessary if we are able to get most stuff worked out ahead of time.
4/20/2019 04:09:37 pm
Sure, I'd be happy to help on both days.
4/20/2019 04:19:55 pm
That's awesome, Lucy. Thanks!
4/20/2019 04:19:26 pm
See Addendum to blog post
4/23/2019 04:19:32 pm
Please put me down for Saturday, if there is an opening.
4/23/2019 04:31:34 pm
Trevor, you are now on the list for Saturday.
4/29/2019 12:28:10 pm
I think it might be cool (or more feasible for me) to make a slideshow of landscape photograph's I have taken to accompany our Tomokies Cup performance....
Leave a Reply.
A discussion blog post for Apartment Music 34 & 35.